Welcome to Friday’s For The Love of Food, Summer Tomato’s weekly link roundup.
This week the road to sustainable seafood, dairy fat gets a pass, and oily fish delays menopause.
Next week’s Mindful Meal Challenge will start again on Monday. Sign up now to join us!
Too busy to read them all? Try this awesome free speed reading app to read at 300+ wpm. So neat!
Links of the week
- 11 Steps to Make Seafood Better for You and the Planet – This is such a practical guide, I love it. (Civil Eats)
- The Vindication of Cheese, Butter, and Full-Fat Milk – Low-fat dairy has always been pointless. (The Atlantic)
- Is your cellphone giving you cancer? A comprehensive guide to the messy, frustrating research. – Everything you’ve ever wanted to know about cellphone radiation. This is an impressively deep and thoughtful analysis, thanks Vox.
- Do Microwaves Cause Cancer? (And 3 Other Microwave Myths) – And for some radiation science that’s way less ambiguous. (Quick and Dirty Tips)
- Five common food safety mistakes that can ruin your summer cookout – I’m always horrified when I see people doing these things at a party. Stay safe out there. (Washington Post)
- Does When You Eat Affect Your Circadian Rhythm, Metabolism, Appetite, Physical Activity, And More? A “Big Breakfast” Study Aims To Explore. – I’m so excited about this! Observational studies have suggested this to be true, and we know that patterns of light, food and activity impact circadian hormones. But there hasn’t been a direct test of morning loaded versus evening loaded calories on circadian rhythm hormones, which is important for drawing conclusions and making recommendations. (Weighty Matters)
- Menopause can be unsettling. These habits can help smooth the transition. – Oily fish and other specific dietary patterns can delay onset of menopause by years?! Super interesting new research, despite the author’s bizarre tangent about antioxidants (the research on those is ambiguous at best and doesn’t seem relevant to this subject). (Washington Post)
- Trump Just Nominated a Pesticide Exec to Oversee Science at the USDA – FYI, still filling the swamp. (Mother Jones)
- Take a Walk in the Woods. Doctor’s Orders. – Sure, why not. (NY Times)
- whole roasted cauliflower with turmeric tahini sauce – Holy deliciousness, Batman! (Crunchy Radish)
What inspired you this week?
Powered by WPeMatico